Sunday, February 23, 2014

Cinnamon Squares

Here we go again… I bought another baking book. Should've known that I was entering dangerous territory when I went into a bookshop yesterday together with Daniela. She was looking for a good read for her vacation when I stumbled over Jeanny's lovely baking book. And I simply couldn't resist. But seriously, this book is really worth it. It is beautifully designed and oh-so-cute and I think I want to test almost every single recipe in there! Let's start with these cinnamon squares. No-fuss recipe - delicious result. And the good thing about them is that, if you have your usual basic baking ingredients at home, you can always bake them spontaneously.




Recipe
(from the lovely Zucker, Zimt und Liebe by Virginia Horstmann)

200g softened butter
200g brown sugar
110g caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
a large pinch of cinnamon
a pinch of salt
2 eggs
275g flour
4-6 tablespoons cinnamon sugar

Preheat the oven to 175°C and grease a 20x30 cm baking tin with butter and line with parchment paper (I used my 23x18 brownie tin and another small baking tin).

In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with an electric hand mixer until creamy. Add baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Then, add the eggs and after that, the flour. Beat until well combined. You will end up with a rather thick dough.

Spread the dough into your baking tin with a ladle and bake for about half an hour. Don't overbake, it's ok if it's a little soft in the middle still. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar immediately.

Let cool down, cut into squares.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails